This Avocado Toast with Egg combines healthy whole wheat toast, a creamy avocado and cottage cheese spread and a fried egg. Each bite is heavenly!
I’m never the first to hop on food trends. I’ve been seeing avocado toast on menus here in Kansas City for about a year, but have yet to order it. Until this past weekend! I had brunch with some girlfriends and the restaurant had a breakfast avocado toast with a fried egg on the menu. Well, they called it an “Avocado Plank,” because they’re fancy. I ordered this so-called avocado plank. I was so convinced I wouldn’t like it and would regret my order. Well, I’m here today to admit that I was wrong. It was awesome. I could have been eating this delicious avocado toast the entire last year, and I didn’t. What’s wrong with me?
The best news about this avocado toast is that it’s pretty dang good for you too. I am always trying to fit more protein in my diet to supplement my weight lighting activities, and a lot of that comes protein comes through dairy. I’m a greek yogurt fiend and I pretty much eat my weight in cheese! For this avocado toast, I used a trick that a friend taught me when she makes her guacamole; I mixed cottage cheese with the mashed avocado! It makes the avocado spread so creamy and dreamy, and adds protein and calcium to all of the healthy fats the avocado brings to the table. Top the creamy avocado spread with a fried egg for even more protein. Serve on some wheat or sprouted toast, and you have quite the meal! I like to add a little bit of acidity in the form of a spritz of lime or lemon juice. You can also add veggies. Sliced tomatoes or spinach are fantastic additions.
Here is how to make it:
Avocado Toast with Egg
- 1 piece bread whole wheat or sprouted
- 1/2 avocado ripe and soft
- 1 tbsp Hiland Dairy Cottage Cheese
- 1 egg
- lime wedge
- Toast bread.
- Add avocado and cottage cheese to small bowl. Smash avocado and stir to combine.
- Smear avocado spread on toast.
- For the egg, gently crack egg into a hot pan coated in pan coat. Reduce the heat to medium and allow to cook for about 2 minutes. Cover the pan with a lid for an additional minute to finish, do not flip the egg. Loosen the sides of the fried egg with a spatula, then slide out of pan on top of toast.
- Crack black pepper and sea salt over the top. Finish with a squeeze of lime juice (optional).