Vegan Sweet Potato Casserole with Maple Pecan Topping
This Skinny Sweet Potato Casserole with Maple Pecan Topping is a vegan, light and healthy twist to traditional sweet potato casserole. All the comfort food, less than half the calories!
Maple Pecan Topping
- 3 tablespoon maple syrup
- 6 tablespoons almond flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoon melted vegan butter
- 3/4 cup pecans, coarsely chopped
Sweet Potato Casserole
- 3.3 pounds sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 6 tablespoons coconut oil or olive oil
- 6 tablespoons vegan butter, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Maple Pecan Topping
- While sweet potato is boiling or right before, mix all the ingredients for the maple pecan topping together and set aside until needed.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and prepare a casserole dish. Set aside.
- In a 4 QT pot of boiling water, boil the sweet potato for 20 minutes until fork soft.
- When the sweet potato is finished boiling, drain and mash. Add the rest of the ingredients and using the potato masher, mix all the ingredients together until they are incorporated, about 2 minutes of mashing.
- Spoon sweet potato mixture into the casserole dish and top with the Maple Pecan Topping.
- Bake for 30 minutes (check that nuts don’t burn – if they are browning too quickly cover with foil) then remove from oven. Allow to cool for 10 minutes and then serve.
- This recipe is vegan and gluten-free.
- *I used coconut flour in the video to show diversity. You can use almond flour or coconut flour if you desire. If you are not gluten-free, feel free to use regular flour.
- HOW TO STORE
You can store this casserole in the fridge covered for up to a week. You could either use a casserole dish with a fitted cover, or cover the casserole with foil, or transfer to an airtight Tupperware container.
9th Recipe on Next Page