Orange Glazed Brussels Sprouts & Butternut Squash
Author: Amanda Paa
- 1 pound.brussels sprouts washed, trimmed and halved
- 1 1/2 pounds butternut squash, peeled then diced into 1/2 in cubes (about 3 cups)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 cup Valdosta Pecan Mix (or 3/4 cup toasted pecans + 1/2 cup dried cranberries)
MIX TOGETHER GLAZE AND SET ASIDE BEFORE MAKING VEGETABLES
- 2 tablespoons butter (or ghee), melted
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 3 tablespoons fresh squeezed orange juice
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- In a large saute pan, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat. Swirl to coat pan, then add in squash. Stir the squash pieces so they are coated with oil and sprinkle with ¼ teaspoon salt. Shake the pan so squash spreads out in an even layer and let cook, without stirring, so that they brown a bit on one side (several minutes). Stir and spread the pieces out again and let cook without stirring so more sides get browned. Let cook until the squash is soft, but holds its shape. (This will depend on the size you cut your squash so try one to test.) Once done, remove from heat and pour into a bowl.
- Heat the other tablespoon of oil over medium-high heat using the same pan. When it’s very hot, place the brussels sprouts cut side down in the oil, sprinkling with ½ teaspoon salt. Turn the heat to medium, and sear on one side until nicely browned about three minutes.
- Turn the brussels sprouts over and cook on the other side until nicely browned and tender, three to five minutes. Some of the leaves can be charred dark brown or black.
- Turn heat down to low and add the squash back to the pan, along with the pecan mix. Stir in the glaze and cook for a few minutes, coating all ingredients and warming through.
5th Recipe on Next PageNext Page