Today I want to make a little twist. I want to start this year with completely different recipe. It’s EASY and HEALTHY BREAKFAST RECIPE for Skinny Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins.
Skinny Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins is really quick and easy recipe. Only 30 minutes and a few simple ingredients is all you’ll need to provide yourselves healthy breakfast or snack. You can freeze them and use whenever you need some food to grab and take to work or pack your kid’s lunch box for school.
At least, you’ll no longer have any excuse to give up your decision to eat healthy meals. And don’t worry, Banana Muffins are very tasty, too.
There’s no butter, sugar, white flour or other unhealthy ingredients in these muffins. OK, it has some chocolate chips, but it’s dark chocolate. And some dark chocolate is good for your health, right?! If you don’t agree, feel free to leave these out or substitute with chopped nuts.
These Banana Muffins are healthy and lightened up from the traditional muffin loaded with sugar.
Instead of sugar I used honey as a natural sweetener and the whole wheat flour instead all-purpose flour. I also substituted butter with plain nonfat Greek yogurt.
Skinny Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins freeze well, so you can make them for weekend and have a healthy breakfast all week. Bake them and let cool completely, then warp each one in plastic wrap and place in ziplock bag and freeze for later. That way you can have a healthy food for breakfast even on those busy mornings when you are late for work or have to pack a lunch box for your kids. Unwrap these mini bites, thaw or microwave and you’re ready to go.
Here is how to make it:
1 and 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 ½ cups mashed bananas (3 medium bananas)
4 Tablespoons honey
1 Tablespoon vanilla
1 teaspoon cinnamon-optional
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 large egg
1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt (nonfat)
1 Tablespoon soy or almond milk
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips (you can substitute with chopped nuts)
- Preheat oven to 350 F and spray 12 cup standard muffin tin or 24 cup mini muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray. I used mini muffin tin.
- In a bowl whisk dry ingredients: flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.
- In a large bowl mash bananas, add honey, oil, vanilla, milk, Greek yogurt and egg. Mix until well combined and smooth. You can use electric mixer or whisk by hand.
- Add dry ingredients and mix (or whisk)until just combined.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Fill muffin tin with batter almost to the top. Bake until the toothpick inserted in the muffin comes out almost clean (with a few crumbs attached). It takes about 20-25 minutes for regular sized muffins or 14-16 minutes for mini muffins. Cool the muffins for 5 minutes in the pan then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.