Healthy, quick and flavorful Cilantro lime chicken, rice and beans cooked in one pan.
If you’re a fan of Mexican food, you’re going to fall in love with this one pan cilantro chicken and rice. It’s one of the easiest dishes to cook and makes a great weeknight dinner in under 45 minutes.
The chicken, rice and beans are all cooked in one pan so the flavor of the chicken gets soaked up into the rice. The rice is also packed with fresh flavors of cilantro and lime and the addition of beans makes this one pot meal complete. This also means that there’s no clean up required!
You can easily serve this as a chipotle burrito style bowl by topping the chicken and rice with tomatoes, avocado, lettuce, salsa, sour-cream and a drizzle of lime.
One Pan Cilantro Lime Chicken and Rice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4-5 chicken thighs, skin on or off
- ½ cup diced onion
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup black beans, rinsed, drained (optional)
- 1 cup uncooked Jasmine or basmati rice
- 1 tablespoon lime juice, freshly squeezed
- ¼ fresh cilantro, chopped
- Heat a large skillet on medium-high heat until hot for 2 minutes. Add olive oil to pan. Season chicken thighs with salt and pepper on both sides. Place chicken skin side down on pan and cook for 5-6 minutes or until golden and crispy. Flip and cook on other side for 5-6 minutes.
- Add onions to pan and cook along with the chicken until the onions are golden and soft (2-3 minutes). Stir in garlic, salt, pepper, cumin and paprika and cook for just 30 seconds. Add water and cover until water boil, slightly reduce heat and simmer chicken for 10 minutes. Add black bean and rice. Cover the skillet with the lid and simmer for 15 minutes, covered, until the rice is cooked through.
- Remove the chicken from the skillet. Mix in the 1 tablespoon of lime juice and fresh cilantro into the cooked rice. Taste, and add more salt and/or another small amount of lime juice.
- Serve with fresh tomato salsa, avocado, lettuce, sour-cream or guacamole!